There is so much health and wellness advice out there in recent times, that it can be hard to figure out what you should focus on. How do you figure out the good advice from the bad?
This is a great question, especially when it comes to choosing the right probiotic supplement. There is so much information out there on probiotics. Probiotics can be a great addition to your diet, with many potential health benefits. Also, if you’re vegan, or you prefer to use only vegan products, you’ll also find many vegan probiotics on the market too.
To help you narrow down your choice, let’s talk about vegan probiotics in particular, and review some of the most popular products around.
What Are Vegan Probiotics?
- What Are Vegan Probiotics?
- An Important Thing to Know When Buying a Vegan Probiotic
- The Benefits of Probiotics
- How to Get Probiotics in Your Vegan Diet
- The Best Vegan Probiotic Supplements
Within the human gut, there are both good and bad bacteria. You might think it’s ridiculous that any type of bacteria could be considered good. However, there are healthy bacteria that can allow your digestive system to work in the best way possible, cutting out the chances of digestive conditions developing. The good bacteria you find in certain supplements and foods are called probiotics.
It is thought that digestive health has a direct link with how well your immune system runs too. Therefore, ensuring that you get the right balance is key for overall health and well-being.
You can find probiotics in regular foods, but most people would struggle to get their correct dosage simply from diet alone. For this very reason, supplements can help you to increase your stores of good bacteria, and keep the bad bacteria at bay. Not to mention that there are many vegan probiotic products available for those on a vegan regimen.
An Important Thing to Know When Buying a Vegan Probiotic
Taking one supplement per day is usually enough to top up your probiotic levels and keep everything running smoothly. There are various different types of probiotics to purchase. However, you need to ensure that you are on a vegan regimen that you look for a probiotic that contains vegan-friendly ingredients.
One of the most popular bacterium used in many probiotics is lactobacillus. Although the prefix of this word, lacto-, implies that this bacterium contains milk, this is not in fact true. Lactobacillus doesn’t contain dairy per se, but the culture is found in many dairy products. This is something a vegan needs to keep in mind since by purchasing this type of probiotic, some profit is going towards the dairy industry.
Besides, lactobacillus, what should you be looking for in a probiotic? Basically a vegan probiotic is one which has ‘vegan’ specified on the label. Anything which states ‘non dairy’ is likely to be questionable like with the concerns around lactobacillus.
The Benefits of Probiotics
We know that we need to be looking for ‘vegan’ probiotics on the label. However, we haven’t really talked in detail about the benefits of them. There are great gains to be had by ensuring that your probiotic levels are up to par, including:
- Helping to balance flora in the gut, such as ensuring the right level of good bacteria to outweigh any bad.
- Regulating the digestive system.
- Helping to relieve diarrhea.
- Managing irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Helping to improve some mental health issues, such as poor memory and depression.
- Improving heart health.
- Improving some allergies and skin conditions like eczema.
- Boosting the immune system.
- Assisting with weight loss and helping to reduce belly fat.
As you can see, there are many benefits to be obtained from taking probiotics on a daily basis. The most common benefits include regulating the digestive system and associated conditions.
How to Get Probiotics in Your Vegan Diet
The vegan diet is actually very amenable to ensure you get a good amount of probiotics in your regular diet.
Here are some popular probiotic food sources for vegans:
- Kimchi (you can have a go at making your own kimchi here)
- Pickles (may be high in salt content)
- Fermented soy products (such as tempeh and miso)
Additionally, whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and plant-based foods are all very rich in prebiotic content (also known as the food for probiotics).
However, if you do struggle to get your daily amount of probiotics and prebiotics from your diet, or you simply don’t feel you’re hitting the right level, then you can take a vegan probiotic supplement to help solve the problem.
One probiotic dose per day usually meets your daily needs, and you can usually take this dose as a single supplement tablet at a time of day that suits you.
The Best Vegan Probiotic Supplements
#1 Deva Nutrition Vegan Probiotic Capsules
Deva Nutrition’s Vegan Probiotic Capsules are hugely popular among vegan probiotic fans. And this product contains 90 capsules per bottle, which makes this a great investment since they will last you a while.
The probiotic in this product is called bacillus coagulans. And the great thing about this product is that you do not have to refrigerate it. Therefore, you can easily take them with you in your bag or to work, without worrying about them spoiling.
This type of probiotic is also very hardy, surviving among stomach acid. Also, it isn’t produced from anything related to dairy, which makes it truly vegan-friendly.
The probiotic also contains FOs (fructooligosaccharides), which is a prebiotic. This prebiotic helps to feed the healthy bacteria to enhance its growth in your gut.
What Customers Are Saying:
Many customers feel that this is an effective probiotic and prebiotic blend, and one that works for most people. Also, many customers state that they are most effective when taking 30 minutes before a meal.
- 90 capsules inside the bottle, which makes this a cost effective product
- A prebiotic and probiotic blend, for an effective experience
- Big named brand, giving peace of mind
- Not produced with any type of dairy involved, so truly vegan-friendly
- Some customers state that the supplements work best after a week or so of taking them, and therefore it isn’t an instant fix.
#2 Yuve Vegan Probiotic Sugar-Free Gummies
As a change from the typical probiotic capsule, these gummies are designed to be fresh-tasting and delicious. Also, these probiotics are also safe for both adults and children, and work to help with IBS, regular gastrointestinal issues, bloating, constipation, and gas.
These gummies are sugar-free and contain 5 billion live cultures of bacillus coagulans. Also, these supplements are totally dairy free and free from any type of dairy-related production. They are also gluten-free, gelatine-free and chemical-free. Therefore, overall this supplement is a very safe probiotic product!
These gummies do need to be kept in the fridge in order for them to remain as fresh as possible. However, aside from that, they are an ideal choice for those who want to be additive and vegan free, while also obtaining the benefits of probiotics.
What Customers Are Saying:
Most customers agree that the strawberry and orange-flavored gummies are delicious and very effective, and that they are very gentle on the stomach.
- Tasty gummies, an ideal change from a pill-type supplement
- Contains 5 billion live cultures of bacillus coagulans
- Dairy free, GMO free, gelatine free, and chemical free – suitable for vegans and those with regular sensitivities
- Ideal for adults and children alike
- These supplements do need to be kept in a fridge, or at least in a very cool and dark place, with the lid screwed on tightly, to ensure they remain most effective and fresh.
#3 Doctor’s Best Digestive Health Probiotic
Doctor’s Best is a big-name brand of supplement products, so you know you’re getting peace of mind from the start. This particular product contains 2 billion live cultures of LactoSpore, and is also free of many added extras such as GMO, gluten, and soy. Also, these supplements are ideal for vegans since they are totally free from dairy. The pack contains 60 supplements, therefore making it last for around two months. This probiotic supplement is ideal for those who have regular stomach upset issues, such as IBS, and for those who want to ensure their overall gut health.
What Customers Are Saying:
Overall, customers all agree that this is an effective product. And although the pack size is a little smaller than some other similar products, it does last for around two months. Most customers also stated that they noticed a change in their overall gut health and stomach upset issues quite quickly after starting to take the supplements.
- Big-name brand, which provides peace of mind
- Contains 2 billion live cultures of LactoSpore
- While these supplements are vegan, they do have the ‘lacto’ prefix in the probiotic name. Therefore, choosing this supplement is a personal decision in terms of whether to purchase or not.
#4 Organic Liquid Probiotics by MaryRuth’s
This particular probiotic is a little different from the others we’ve reviewed so far, in that it isn’t a solid form, but a liquid. Because of that, this probiotic is ideal for those who aren’t too keen on the idea of taking supplement capsules or gummies.
MaryRuth’s is also a family-run farming business in the USA. And because the farm is so small, there are only small batches of this probiotic liquid made at any one time. Also, since it is made from totally plant-based probiotics, and not affected or used in the dairy industry in the slightest, this choice is organic, non-GMO, vegan- friendly, and free of wheat, soy, and nuts.
What Customers Are Saying:
Many customers asked if the liquid probiotic could be added to tea or coffee, to make it more palatable. However, this will kill the probiotic content. Therefore, always take the drops as prescribed on the bottle. Customers found it to be very effective, and a good alternative to regular probiotic supplements.
- A good alternative to supplements in tablet or gummy form
- Made by a family run, farming business
- Free of everything false, totally organic, and vegan free
- Cannot be added to warm drinks
- Not suitable for children under 12 years old, or pregnant women
#5 Naturnetics Flora Pro Health Daily Probiotic
Available in packs of either 60 or 90 capsules, this Naturetics choice is a popular one due to the huge brand name involved. The plus point of this product is that you don’t need to refrigerate it. Therefore, it is ideal for people with busy lives who are on-the-go constantly.
This probiotic product starts off with 100 billion live cultures. And while some claim to die over over time, there are usually 30 billion cultures that survive per capsule dose. Also, there are several high profile probiotics included in the product, including bifidobacterium and acidophilus. The strains are designed to stand up to strong stomach acid, so this is a good product for those who have acid problems.
What Customers Are Saying:
Most customers agree that this probiotic is a very effective one. And because you can choose the size of the pack you want to buy, you are getting a good value for your money if you decide you like the product and want to buy in bulk.
- You can choose between a 60 or 90-capsule pack
- Big brand name for extra peace of mind
- Contains 30 billion live cultures per supplement dose
- Stands up to strong stomach acid
- Some customers stated that it made them more bloated at first, but then settled down over time. Therefore, this is something to bear in mind as a possible side effect.
#6 UP4 Probiotic Supplement For Women
This particular probiotic is a good one for women following a vegan diet, since it is designed specifically with females in mind. With around 10 billion live cultures in every supplement tablet, you’re certainly getting an optimal daily dose.
Lactobacilli bacterium is the main ingredient. Therefore, again, while this is a vegan-friendly product, it is derived from dairy products, so is a personal decision to make.
However, origin aside, this particular probiotic is designed to help with feminine health problems and yeast balance in particular, as well as being great for enhancing immune system health. The supplements are also free of gluten and soy, as well as being preservative-free. Not to mention that they are also kosher- certified.
What Customers Are Saying:
Overall, most customers were very pleased with the results of taking these probiotics for a short length of time, and found quick results. Most women also stated that they noticed a reduction in yeast infection problems after taking the supplements.
- Specifically designed for women
- Helps with problems which are specific to women’s health, such as yeast balance
- Free of soy, gluten, and preservatives
- Designed to boost the immune system
- 10 billion live cultures included in each supplement
- This product contains lactobacilli, so it is a personal decision as to whether you consider this 100% truly vegan friendly or not.
#7 NOW Probiotic 10 – 25 Billion
NOW probiotic supplements contain between 10-25 billion live cultures per supplement and are ideal for those who follow a strict vegan lifestyle, since they are totally free of any dairy and any relation to dairy in their production.
The supplements are also gluten free, and the pack size is large with 100 supplements per package. Also, this product offers a good value for your money, especially if you find that these supplements work well for you.
Furthermore, the ingredients in this probiotic product are very resistant to strong stomach acid. Therefore, they are ideal for those who might have problems with acid, as well as being specifically designed to boost the immune system overall.
What Customers Are Saying:
Most customers state that these supplements are ideal for regular stomach issues and also for boosting energy and immune system. The large pack size is also something which many customers like since it cuts down on cost over the long-term.
- Large pack size, which is ideal for a cost-effective solution
- Gluten and dairy free, and considered a true vegan-friendly product
- Ideal for stomach acid problems, general gut issues, and also for boosting immune system overall
- The large pack size could be an issue if you wanted to try the supplements out first before committing to them as your daily probiotic. Therefore, you would be left with surplus if they didn’t suit you.
These seven probiotics are ideal for those who want to reap the benefits of probiotics in general. In terms of a clear winner, it’s hard to choose. However, the most popular product, and therefore the winner on that level, is the Yuve Vegan Probiotic Sugar-Free Gummies.
The fact that these aren’t a regular tablet, and are a fresh-tasting gummy is a bonus. Also, they are ideal for children as well as adults, so there is no need to purchase two different types of supplement to cater the whole family. Furthermore, these probiotic supplements are also truly vegan-friendly, with no connection of this product with the dairy industry.
Staci Gulbin has been a registered dietitian with the Commission on Dietetic Registration since 2010 and has over eight years of experience in the nutrition and dietetics industry. She has masters degrees in Biology, Human Nutrition, and Nutrition and Education from New York University, and the Columbia University Institute of Human Nutrition, respectively. Staci has treated thousands of patients across numerous wellness arenas such as weight management, fitness, long term care and bariatric nutrition. As of late, she has been functioning as an independent author and health editorial manager to help spread the message of health and wellness through her writing. You can connect with Staci via Linkedin here.