Your liver plays a massive role in keeping you healthy, so of course you’re going to want to look after it. There are so many products out there that claim they can encourage and safeguard optimal liver function, but do any of them have a leg to stand on? We’re going to take a look at LiverMD from 1MD and tell you exactly how it can help liver function plus the science behind it.
Why is liver health important?
Your liver is like a filter for your body, it weighs just over a kilo and sits tucked against your diaphragm in the upper right hand side of your abdomen. Its main jobs are to:
- Filter all blood from the digestive tract
- Breaks down and creates nutrients from the blood for the body to use
- Sends all harmful substances out of the body in the form of bile
- Detoxifies chemicals and metabolizes drugs in the blood so the body can use them better
- Produces bile that helps to break down fats for better digestion and absorption
- Makes proteins that are essential for blood clotting and other important functions
These are just a few of the main things your liver does so you’re probably already gathering that it’s pretty important to the healthy functioning of your body! Some of the most common symptoms of liver disease caused by genetics, abuse of alcohol, and other factors include jaundice, chronic fatigue, nausea, vomiting and swelling of the legs, ankles, and abdomen.
Who’s backing LiverMD?
As a gastroenterologist for around 20 years, Dr. David Kahana, MD, is a great choice to be backing this product and its results. He’s passionate about correct nutrition and teaching his patients how to manage their chronic digestive conditions with the correct foods. He also loves to teach and has lectured on many gut health topics such as inflammation, probiotics and prebiotics, and the benefits of a hypoallergenic diet.
What can LiverMD do for you?
LiverMD is produced by 1MD who are a company founded in 2015 that produce doctor-formulated dietary supplements and have a passion for helping their customers live longer, healthier lives with quality tested and proven ingredients. They manufacture targeted products that assist with digestive, heart, immune, metabolic, and joint health.
On their website, 1MD and their physician Dr. David Kahana, MD, claim that their 6 clinically studied ingredients will help to purify and optimize your liver function for better energy, metabolism and overall health. Each ingredient is included in its clinically proven optimal dose for effectiveness, so you know you’ll be getting the perfect amount in each capsule. As a bonus, this product is vegan, plus gluten, preservatives, soy and sugar-free.
1MD clarify on their product page that liver health isn’t something that could be a concern for only heavy drinkers and that everyone can benefit from a daily liver supplement. Here’s a few of the main benefits:
- Boosted energy levels
- Weight management
- Cleanse your liver of harmful fatty cells
- Restores antioxidant capacity and reduces oxidative stress
- Support production of healthy liver cells
Now you know what it can do for you, let’s take a look at how exactly it does that with its active ingredients.
Active ingredients in LiverMD
If you want to know exactly what’s going into your body then read on because we’ve done a little digging into LiverMD’s star ingredients and what they do best for your liver.
This is what 1MD calls a “supercharged” vitamin E ingredient and they claim it contains every form of vitamin E. Tocopherols and tocotrienols specifically are the derivatives of vitamin E included in this product, tocotrienols believed to be the most effective antioxidants in the family and very well tolerated by the body.
Vitamin E is one of the most potent and powerful antioxidants in the natural world. Antioxidants protect your cells from free radical damage and the oxidative stress they cause, meaning less deterioration and risk of developing problems with the liver like nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and cirrhosis. Vitamin E also regulates your inflammatory response, which will reduce the damage that excess inflammation can cause to the liver over time.
Siliphos Bioavailable Silybin
As an enhanced form of milk thistle extract, this is another powerhouse antioxidant ingredient derived from a plant that’s been used for hundreds of years as a natural, herbal remedy for liver diseases. Milk thistle is a green plant with white veins running through its leaves that will ooze a milky liquid if squeezed – hence the name. It grows all over the world and the most important part of the plant is silymarin, which is specifically part of the plant’s seeds.
Silymarin stops toxins from attaching to and harming the healthy cells in the liver, it’s said to have a beneficial effect on the symptoms of liver disease, hepatitis, steatohepatitis, and cirrhosis. Including an ingredient like Silybin, which is the major active compound in silymarin, would be a huge contributing factor to any positive results seen from this product.
N-acetyl Cysteine (NAC)
N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) has many medicinal uses and comes from the semi-essential amino acid, L-cysteine. You might not be surprised to find out at this point that NAC is an antioxidant, it also assists in the production of glutathione – the most powerful antioxidant in your body. Due to this, NAC can help to prevent liver damage and assist with the detoxification of this vital organ – neutralising free radicals that would otherwise wreak havoc on your liver. Medical studies have shown that NAC is effective at significantly improving liver function in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, which is an umbrella term for liver conditions affecting those who drink very little to no alcohol but accumulate fat and inflammation in their liver regardless.
Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA)
This ingredient, Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA), helps to prevent certain kinds of cell damage by acting as an antioxidant in the body but also replenishes levels of vitamin E and C, which are essential for healthy immune function. ALA is usually given to diabetics to help with nerve-related symptoms as well as pain, burning, and numbness in their arms and legs. Clinical trials where high doses of ALA were used on patients, had shown success in many different types of liver diseases (with a range of different causes) plus insulin resistance and diabetic polyneuropathy. From this research, ALA seems to be very effective when it comes to the liver but 1MD also claims it will improve your energy levels as well.
Your body doesn’t produce zinc on its own, so it’s essential that you supplement with it or include it in your diet to get its benefits. Enzymatic reactions, DNA synthesis, growth, immune function, and healing are just a few of the processes that your body requires zinc for.
Zinc deficiency can lead to suboptimal metabolic and immune response in inflammatory liver diseases like liver cirrhosis – scarring of the liver. On the flip side, zinc supplementation has been shown to reduce symptoms of alcoholic liver disease by stabilising the gut barrier, decreasing harmful inflammation, oxidative stress, and apoptotic hepatocyte death (liver cells self destructing because they’re unhealthy/damaged), plus lowering the risk of bacteria getting through the gut walls and into the bloodstream which can otherwise damage your liver.
Selenium Amino Acid Chelate
Selenium is an essential mineral found in crab, fish, poultry, and liver and increases the function of antioxidants in the body. A selenium deficiency could result in an underactive thyroid and metabolism, however, if you have too much selenium in your diet (over 400mg a day) it can cause bad breath, fevers and nausea plus liver, kidney and heart complications. The dose of 0.2mg in each serving of LiverMD will not cause any harm.
Research into selenium supplementation and its effects on the liver have not been encouraging, but one study has shown that antioxidant activity was restored in patients with cirrhosis which helped with reducing the scarring of the liver.
The ingredients listed above are the active ingredients, meaning they’re the ones doing all the work. However, there are a few more ingredients in this product you might want to know about:
- Vegetable cellulose capsule – The vegetarian casing on your capsules, generally made from the trunks of pine and spruce trees. No known health risks, 100% natural and nontoxic.
- Vegetable oil powder – Filler with low oxidative deterioration.
- Rice flour – Hypoallergenic filler that lengthens shelf life.
- Silica – Serves as an anticaking agent to ensure ingredients don’t clump together, it’s a naturally forming compound that’s completely safe in such tiny amounts.
As for allergens and additives, this product is gluten, preservatives, soy, nut, dairy, egg, and sugar-free.
Each bottle contains 60 capsules and the recommended serving is 2 capsules a day, so a bottle will last you exactly a month. You’ll need to take one capsule twice a day with a meal for LiverMD to work. Here are the prices as listed on 1MD’s website and the discounts they offer when buying in bulk:
- 1 bottle for $49 (82 cents a capsule)
- 3 bottles for $43 each (72 cents a capsule)
- 6 bottles for $39 each (65 cents a capsule)
90-day money back guarantee
Now might be a good time to mention that 1MD offers a 90-day money back guarantee on all of their products, this means that if you’re unhappy with the results you’re getting within 90 days, they’ll refund the cost of the product to you as long as you return all purchased bottles to them. They simply ask that you let them know why you’re wanting to return the products, as this will help them improve their products and service in the future.
With a guarantee like this, it’s very obvious that 1MD trusts the potency and results that they claim their products will yield – and it means that you get to try it risk free. This is an awesome incentive for anyone, but especially for those who are unsure that the product will work for them.
What are the customers saying about LiverMD?
We’ve scoured the internet (not just the 1MD website) for reviews from real customers who’ve tried and tested this product, here are a few of the most common feedback points:
- Less bloating and weight gain – Many customers remarks that they’re no longer feeling bloated after one meal and that they’re not gaining weight as quickly as they used to. This could be due to a boosted metabolism from optimal liver function.
- Nausea when first trying – One reviewer commented that they experienced nausea during the first couple days of trying this product, they said that they consumed ginger ale and a big meal when taking the capsules to avoid this.
- Noticeable results after only a couple weeks – Some reviews mention that users of this product are feeling the positive effects only one to two weeks after they’ve started taking LiverMD regularly. Others mention that they don’t notice anything monumental, but when they’ve stopped using the product they feel more sluggish and can tell that LiverMD had actually been working for them.
- Normal liver levels – The majority of customers are taking this supplement to help get their liver levels back to normal after having elevated liver levels that can indicate liver disease or damage and have symptoms like jaundice, itching, nausea, fatigue, poor appetite, and more. Users say their doctors are very impressed with their progress on getting their livers into the normal range, this could suggest that LiverMD works well for damaged livers.
- Extra energy – Less fatigue and more energy is a common theme for a lot of the reviews on LiverMD, as this is one of the main selling points for the product it’s great to see that customers are experiencing the benefit as intended. Optimally functioning livers will require less energy for the body to maintain, so it makes sense that users are experiencing less lethargy during the day.
If you’re looking to boost your liver function with a product that’s backed by doctors and a heap of research, this might be the one for you. With a bunch of antioxidant-rich ingredients to decrease liver damage and encourage optimal energy, metabolism and toxin removal there’s a good chance that this will have you feeling all the benefits of a healthy liver.
If you’re not convinced, you can give this product a try with 1MD’s 90-day money back guarantee so that if you’re not satisfied with the results then you haven’t wasted any money. Be sure to couple this supplement with a healthy diet to maximise your potential for optimal liver function and consult your doctor if you’re not sure if this product is right for you.
Last Updated on