We all want to look and feel our very best, no matter what our age.
The problem is, as the ticking clock of ageing continues onwards, our faces and our bodies overall begin to show signs that the years have been kind to us, such as wrinkles, fine lines, age spots, changes in skin tone and texture, as well as exhibiting signs of sun damage.
All of this is normal in so many ways, but what if you don’t want to see it in the mirror?
There is an argument that you should grow old gracefully and accept the changes that come your way, but what if you don’t want to?
What if it makes you feel bad about yourself?
You shouldn’t live your life hating what you see in the mirror, and in that case, looking towards methods to reduce the signs of ageing is a good idea.
If you don’t like the idea of going under the surgeon’s knife (always best to a avoid wherever possible), and Botox isn’t something which floats your boat, have you thought about microdermabrasion?
What is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a procedure which can be carried out within a salon or at home.
The plus point of this treatment is that it is only very minimally invasive, and doesn’t include needles or scalpels – always a positive!
Studies show that microdermabrasion can be used to help boost skin tone and texture, and improve the appearance of skin which is affected by fine lines, age spots, wrinkles, sun damage, scarring from acne (not deep scars), and other certain skin issues.
Microdermabrasion is suitable for most skin types, however if you have any concerns or specific conditions, you should check with your doctor beforehand, just to be sure.
The procedure works to effectively remove the outer layer of the skin, which is often thick and shows the signs of ageing and environmental damage, as we mentioned.
This sounds painful, but it really isn’t!
Microdermabrasion uses an applicator which very gently sprays particles onto your skin which work to remove the unwanted area of skin, or sands it away.
It depends which type of applicator they use.
Both are pain-free, do not require anaesthetic, and do not require any downtime.
Microdermabrasion has ben around since 1996, however since then various different techniques have come to the fore.
The main two are:
A diamond tip microdermabrasion procedure will exfoliate away the dead skin cells on the upper layer of your skin and then suck them away using the same device, almost instantly.
A crystal microdermabrasion procedure uses a hand-piece which emits small crystals (usually aluminium oxide or sodium bicarbonate) onto the skin, which then rubs away the dead skin cells in a similar exfoliation procedure.
Again, the removed dead skin cells are then suctioned immediately.
Microdermabrasion at Home Versus at The Salon
Microdermabrasion is quite a flexible procedure and that means you can purchase machines which allow you to carry out the treatment yourself, at home.
These machines are on par, or very close to, the types of machines which are used in salons, and provided instructions are followed and you’re careful, you can achieve the same results.
Of course, you will need to buy the machine as an outright cost, and these aren’t always cheap, but over time the cost will be much less than regular visits to a salon, which can be very costly.
There is also the time element to consider; you don’t have to factor in appointments and wait in the salon, you can simply do it yourself at home, as often as it suits you.
Despite that, some people do prefer to go to the salon and have their microdermabrasion treatments, as a treat.
That’s a personal choice and either option will give you the smoother, more youthful-looking skin you desire.
If you’re considering using microdermabrasion at home however, you’ll need to shop around for the best machine for you.
There are countless on the market, and that can make finding a good quality, well-priced product quite difficult.
To help whittle down your choice and find a quality option, we’ve reviewed seven of the best at-home microdermabrasion machines in 2019.
Top 7 Microdermabrasion Machines for 2019
Nuvederm is a pretty big name in the beauty technology world, which should give you peace of mind from the get go.
This particular machine is portable, which makes it very handy for those who travel a lot, but even if you don’t, portable means easy to store away and doesn’t take up much room!
The major positive on this particular microdermabrasion machine is that it will give you results from the first use, and it comes with a dermatology recommendation, so again, more peace of mind coming your way.
The Microderm GLO Diamond Microdermabrasion System includes a Safe3D technology guarantee, which is a type of technology which is included in the diamond tip of the applicator.
This means you are getting safe results, but you’re also getting salon quality results.
The price might be higher than some other machines, but the quality and safety level is also high too, so ‘you get what you pay for’ is true here.
In addition, the machine has been clinically proven to help reduce the depth of wrinkles on your face, as well as the size of pores.
It is also safe for any skin type, so a good all-rounder choice of machine.
Of course, you want your machine to be easy to use, and not to need a degree to operate it! This machine is very easy to use and you simply need to charge it up between uses, with the included charging dock machine.
Each treatment will take 4-5 minutes, and when done on a regular basis (depending on your skin type), results will be quite quick to show.
- Includes safe 3D technology which works to give safe, yet salon quality results
- Promotes the production of new elastin and collagen with every use, which is the key to younger-looking skin
- Battery operated and easy to charge back up, with the docking station included
- Uses a lithium-ion battery (included), which is easy to replace at the end of its life
- Portable and easy to store away
- Easy to operate
- The hand-set is easy to hold and sits comfortable within your hand
- Two colours available, either silver or white
- Quick treatments at just 4 minutes each
- A higher price could mean budget issues
- You will need to prep your skin and use after care, as per the instructions in the set
- You might prefer a mains powered machine
Our second choice is the Trophy Skin MicrodermMD, which is a powerful and salon-quality product to opt.
Still within a similar price range to our first product, this machine will give you quick results and is also suitable for most skin types out there.
The difference between this machine and our last one is basically the way it is powered; the Trophy Skin option is mains powered, which some people do actually prefer.
The downside is that you will need to be near to a plug socket, but the cable is quite long, so there isn’t shouldn’t be issues with reaching.
The machine uses a diamond tip type of microdermabrasion and has several suction settings (eight), to give you a bespoke experience, according to your particular skin type and any conditions you might want to target, e.g. wrinkles and fine lines.
Again, this machine is recommended by dermatologists, and is on par with the type of results you will see from a salon.
There is a built in mirror on the hand-set, so you can see what you’re doing much more easily, for more targeted results.
The kit also includes everything you need, including 100 filters and the diamond tip.
You can buy new tips if you find you need a replacement at any point.
There are extra accessories available to buy for this kit also, but at an extra price.
- Eight suction setting levels
- 100 filters included in the pack
- LED display for timing and ease of use, as well as an auto-mode
- Mirrored hand-set, to be able to see what you’re doing more clearly
- Easy to follow instructions within the guide
- Everything comes in a carry case
- Mains powered, so you will need to be relatively close to a plug socket
- The additional (optional) accessories will need to be bought separately
This particular machine is professional level, and has been shown to be effective for a wide variety of anti-aging issues.
It is perfect for use on both the face and the neck, and is very easy to use.
As with the last product, there are several suction levels to create a bespoke treatment, however there are only four on this particular machine.
There are however two probes included within the kit.
This machine gives a three in one treatment, including exfoliation, extraction, and a special tip which is used to help serums or creams penetrate into the skin much more easily after the main treatment is complete.
This helps to boost your results, and the whole treatment should not take more than five minutes.
You get everything you need inside the kit, including 50 filters, but again, this is another mains operated machine, so you will need to be near to a plug socket.
- Very easy to use and effective
- Extra step include in the treatment, e.g. the infusion of creams into the skin
- Portable and easy to store away
- Pack includes 50 filters and everything you need
- Treatments take just 5 minutes
- Only four suction settings, in comparison to the sister product, which has eight
- Some users state that their skin was a little red after use, so this is something to bear in mind
The machine overall is very easy to use and doesn’t require much in the way of education beforehand.
The results are fast to show and effective, and you will notice skin condition is improved overall, as well as targeted issues, such as wrinkles, areas of dry skin, and any blackheads.
This machine in particular is ideal for those who suffer from blackheads and dry patches on a regular basis.
Everything is included within the kit, however the best advice prior to using the machine, to get the best results is to use a bowl or hot water to steam your face beforehand.
This will open up the pores and make results much more effective again.
You should use this machine for no more than 5 minutes at a time, and for up to three times per week.
Light bruising after the first treatment may occur, but this should not happen after the first time.
There are six different probes included in the kit, so you can create a bespoke treatment for smaller and larger parts of the face and neck.
You can even use this kit on stretch marks on legs!
- Battery operated with a regular rechargeable batteries. Charging can be done via a USB cable
- A waterproof machine
- Six probes included in the kit for a bespoke treatment on different parts of the face and neck
- Can be used on the legs, etc for stretch marks
- Suitable for all skin types
- Ideal for those who suffer from regular blackheads
- There is a warning regarding slight bruising upon first use, however this should not occur after that initial use
Just like our previous machine, this has targeted blackhead removal technology.
This machine is battery powered, and charging can be done via a USB cable connection.
This means it is portable and easy to store away when not in use.
The hand-held device also sits in your hand comfortably, making it easier to use and for more accuracy overall.
There are five suction levels, and the machine makes literally no noise at all!
There are four tips included in the kit, and the exfoliation tip has particles which are micro-crystal infused, and not diamond.
This means dead skin cells are removed a little more gently.
This machine is also suitable for all skin types, but one warning is that there might be a slight amount of redness or bruising on first use, but again, this shouldn’t occur beyond that initial try.
- Easy to use and sits comfortably in your hand
- Has five suction levels to choose from
- Virtually noiseless
- Five power levels to choose from
- Battery powered and charged with a USB connector
- Doesn’t use a diamond tip, and instead uses a micro-crystalline tip, which some might not prefer
- Slight redness or bruising could occur on first use, but shouldn’t persist after that
This particular microdermabrasion machine is very portable choice, and ideal for those who don’t want to head to the salon for treatments every few weeks.
It is a very easy to use machine, although it is a little bulkier than the others we have reviewed so far.
This might be an issue for you, so it is something to bear in mind.
The kit contains everything you need, as well as a huge 360 filters and nine diamond tip probes.
These probes are in different sizes and shapes, so you can target specific areas with more accuracy and detail.
Some users state that this machine isn’t as easy to use as some others, but still very simple in terms of learning and the probe sits comfortably in your hand too.
As with most other machines, this is a rechargeable machine and can be charged up using a USB cable connector.
- Kit contains 360 filters and nine diamond tips, which are in different shapes and sizes for extra accuracy
- Easy to hold in your hand and comfortable to use
- Battery charging can be done with a portable USB cable connection
- Detailed instruction manual
- A slightly bulkier machine for storage
- Doesn’t have all singing, all dancing features, but does the basic job at hand
The price is also a little lower than some of the other higher reviewed products we have gone for, which is another plus point towards the beginner, or those on a budget.
The overall design of the machine is ergonomic, so it is easy to hold in your hand, portable, and easy to store away.
It is a modern-looking machine also, and is charged via a USB cable connection, once more.
The machine is operated with push buttons, and there are three suction settings.
It is recommended that you use this machine no more than twice per week for good results, however these results may take longer to show.
- An ergonomic and modern design, which is portable and easy to store way
- Push button operation is easy to use
- Three suction settings
- Good price for those on a budget
- The results may take longer to show, compared to our other, more complex machines
At home microdermabrasion is a great choice for those who don’t have the time or cash to go to the salon on a regular basis.
The results are just as good, and will have you loving what you see in the mirror, in no time at all!
Last Updated on