Acne is a distressing problem affecting not only adolescents but adults.
It can be difficult to address, and many people turn to holistic remedies in their efforts to achieve an acne free life.
While there is no guarantee that any one approach will work for an individual, there’s no doubt that specialized probiotics for acne can alleviate the symptoms of acne for many people.
Probiotics are microorganisms that when administered in adequate amounts will confer a health benefit to the host.
Many elements of modern life make it difficult for us to maintain the correct balance of microbiota (good bacteria of the gut), leading to a wide range of potential health problems.
Probiotics fight the bad bacteria and pathogens that can enter our body.
It makes sense then that taking a high quality probiotic supplement can reduce any health problem caused by bad bacteria and inflammation, such as acne.
Taking a good probiotic supplement should help with the symptoms of your acne.
In this article, we will discuss acne, probiotics and what they can do for you, and how probiotics can alleviate your acne symptoms.
We will then present our list of the top probiotic supplements for acne available today.
- What is Acne?
- What are Probiotics?
- How Can Probiotics Help with Acne?
- Top 8 Probiotics for Acne List
- Editor’s Pick: 1MD Complete Probiotics Platinum
- Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra Ultimate Probiotic Flora
- New Rhythm Probiotics 50 Billion CFU 20 Strains
- Renew Life-Ultimate Flora Probiotics Extra Care
- Earth’s Pearl Probiotic and Prebiotic
- Nature’s Bounty Ultra Probiotic 10
- Webber Naturals Acidophilus Bifidus with FOS 6 Billion Active Cells
- Align Digestive Care Probiotic Supplement
What is Acne?
Acne breakouts occur when the skin’s pores are blocked or plugged by sebaceous gland secretions.
Contrary to popular belief, acne is by no means exclusive to teenagers.
In fact, 20% of acne cases are experienced by adults.
People with oily skin tend to be more prone to acne than others.
Hormones and heredity are other major factors.
For some people, stress can also play a role.
The face is the most common place where acne develops.
Other locations on the body where it can occur include the upper arms, shoulders, back, neck, and chest.
Bacteria aggravates acne and makes breakouts more likely to happen.
This is one of the reasons why it’s so important for acne-prone people to keep their skin immaculately clean.
Studies suggest that probiotics may have the ability to alleviate acne symptoms, potentially reducing the severity and frequency of breakouts.
What are Probiotics?
Probiotic supplements contain “good” or beneficial live bacteria and yeast.
One of the areas of the body where probiotics can be most beneficial to the digestive system.
The good microorganisms in probiotics fight bad bacteria, fungi, and other pathogens mean that these supplements are well worth taking.
Some people think that they can get their probiotics by just eating yogurt.
While yogurt does contain probiotics, there’s one major problem: in many cases, they’re mostly dead.
This is a problem because probiotics need to be alive when they enter your system so that they can thrive and colonize your gut and you can enjoy this benefit.
Among the reason probiotics are beneficial to the digestive system is because they can positively impact the nerves that govern movement of the gut.
Probiotics are known to help alleviate:
- IBD (Irritable Bowel Disease)
- IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
- Diarrhea (diarrhea caused by a pathogen like bacteria, a virus, or parasite, or diarrhea linked to antibiotic use)
Other health problems probiotics can assist with include acne and other skin conditions (like eczema), oral health conditions, colds and allergies, and vaginal and urinary health conditions, because when the microbiota is balanced, diminish the inflammation in other organs of the body.
How Can Probiotics Help with Acne?
One reason probiotics can help with acne is because they tend to reduce inflammation all over the body, and inflammation is an aggravating factor in acne.
One way that probiotics reduce inflammation is in its ability to calm and improve the functioning of the digestive system.
Studies have established probiotics’ ability to help clear acne symptoms.
Not only has it been found that the inflammation of acne can be alleviated, it has also been established that probiotics can help to promote healing.
They might even help to reduce the production of oil by the skin.
Taking probiotic rich foods or a targeted probiotic supplement will help to improve your health in every area, boosting your body’s functioning and potentially fostering a better sense of well-being.
Top 8 Probiotics for Acne List
Editor’s Pick: 1MD Complete Probiotics Platinum
1MD Complete Probiotics Platinum contains 11 robust strains of probiotic organisms.
Taking this supplement will help to create a healthy and beneficial microbiota balance.
If swallowing large capsules is a challenge for you, don’t worry.
The product uses small delayed release, veggie capsules.
They are able to stand up to stomach acid and bile.
This is essential to the proper delivery of the live cultures to the gut and ability to thrive and colonize.
The probiotic strains the company uses are well-researched and of the highest quality.
The product also contains a helpful dosage of Nutraflora prebiotic fiber – so if you have a sensitive stomach, this might be a good option.
The addition of prebiotic fibre is also advantageous because it will help to make sure the microorganisms can have the fuel required to optimally benefit your health.
There are at least 50 billion live cultures in each capsule of the product.
Click above to go straight to the official 1MD website where you can get the best available price as of June 2019.
- The product has 11 robust strains to benefit your health.
- There are 50 billion live cultures in each capsule.
- Delayed release, veggie capsules can resist bile and stomach acid, allowing the live cultures to reach and thrive in your digestive system
- Contains the addition of Nutraflora prebiotic fiber
- Free of preservatives
- Soy-free and gluten-free
- Can help with digestive problems such as bloating, constipation, and cramps.
Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra Ultimate Probiotic Flora
Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra Ultimate Probiotic Flora is a broad-spectrum probiotic formula, and features 15 billion live cells in each daily dose.
This product features 13 species of probiotic microorganisms.
Garden of Life Primal Defense creates flora balance in the gut and helps to facilitate better digestive health.
It can also help the body more effectively absorb the beneficial nutrients in your diet.
This product includes soil-based probiotics (Homeostatic Soil Organisms (HSOs).
This is significant, as some studies have shown that these can be more effective than others.
- Is a broad-spectrum probiotic formula, with 15 billion live cells in each dose and 13 probiotic microorganisms
- Includes soil-based probiotics, and some studies have indicated that these can be more efficacious than others
- Doesn’t need to be refrigerated
- Helps with digestive system problems such as bloating and diarrhea
- Boost the immune system
- One capsule a day needed
- Vegetable (cellulose) capsules
- Able to thrive in the digestive system and stand up to bile and stomach acid
- Can help with digestion of dairy products
New Rhythm Probiotics 50 Billion CFU 20 Strains
New Rhythm Probiotics 50 Billion CFU 20 Strains has 20 probiotic strains and 50 billion CFU (colony forming units) active cultures and is formulated by medical professionals.
The product offers 50 billion live cultures per dose. New Rhythm Probiotics have targeted release technology.
This makes the product able to stand up to stomach acids.
The product also includes organic prebiotic fiber.
New Rhythm Probiotics promotes a healthy microflora balance in the gut that helps improve the functioning of the digestive system and promote health and well-being.
- Made in an Organic Certificated and GMP Certificated by NSF facility
- Includes organic prebiotic fiber
- 100% natural ingredients
- 90-day 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Free of milk and sugar
- Free of magnesium stearate and other fillers, and preservatives
- Free of wheat, gluten, and salt
- Free of peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and corn
- Free of fish and shellfish
- Has an Arrive Alive Potency Promise, ensuring that the microorganisms in the formula are able to arrive in your digestive system alive
Renew Life-Ultimate Flora Probiotics Extra Care
Renew Life—Ultimate Flora Probiotic Extra Care offers 50 billion live cultures and 12 probiotic strains.
Taking this high-quality product helps to alleviate digestive discomfort such as bloating and gas.
Renew Life—Ultimate Flora Probiotic Extra Care assists with the digestive process and can boost the immune system.
This product uses delayed-release capsules that help to ensure targeted delivery.
The microorganisms in Renew Life—Ultimate Flora Probiotic Extra Care promote healthy microflora balance in the digestive system, which promotes general health and well-being.
- 50 billion live cultures and 12 probiotic strains
- Live cultures are guaranteed
- Alleviates problems such as bloating and gas
- Assists with the digestive process, helping you absorb more of the beneficial nutrients in your diet
- Vegetable capsules
Earth’s Pearl Probiotic and Prebiotic
Earth’s Pearl Probiotic and Prebiotic is unique in its delivery system.
Rather than a capsule, it is in the form of a tiny pearl that some people might prefer as it is easier to swallow.
The pearls have a Time Release Patented Technology called BioTract that gives the pearls as much as 15 times more efficacy than regular capsules.
This means that much more live flora should reach your gut.
This product will give your digestive system beneficial bacteria that help create a healthy microflora balance in your digestive system that will help to alleviate digestive system conditions such as gas and bloating and boost general health.
It can help to support the immune system and boost energy.
- Helps to create a healthy microorganism balance in the digestive system, benefiting health and well-being
- Can alleviate digestive system conditions such as gas and bloating
- Do not need to refrigerate
- Can help you absorb more of the beneficial nutrients in your diet
- Helps to fight candida overgrowth and yeast infections
- Lactose-free (although label says that there may be trace amounts of milk protein)
- While the product is advertised as lactose free, the company states that there may be trace amounts of milk protein present
Nature’s Bounty Ultra Probiotic 10
Nature’s Bounty Ultra Probiotic 10 contains 10 beneficial and clinically studied probiotic strains.
There are 20 billion active cultures at the time of manufacture in each dose of the product.
Nature’s Bounty Ultra Probiotic 10 improves the microflora balance in your gut and can boost the immune system.
It improves gastrointestinal function and fosters greater health and well-being.
This product is a wonderful choice for the health conscious, as it is free of artificial color, flavor, sugar, starch, and preservatives.
- Free of artificial flavor, color, and sweetener
- Free of preservatives
- Free of milk and lactose
- Gluten-free and wheat-free
- Sodium-free and sugar-free
- Each dose contains 20 billion active cultures at the time of manufacture
- Features 10 clinically studied probiotic strains
- Improves digestive health and boosts the immune system
- Contains vegetable magnesium stearate
- Contains silica
Webber Naturals Acidophilus Bifidus with FOS 6 Billion Active Cells
Webbers Naturals Acidophilus Bifidus with FOS 6 Billion Active Cells contains acidophilus probiotic.
The lactic acid bacteria in this supplement are able to thrive and colonize in the digestive system.
This product promotes a beneficial pH balance in your small intestine.
This can help to alleviate candida overgrowth and assists in the promotion of intestinal health.
One of this supplement’s features is the addition of FOD (fructooligosaccharides).
FOS are natural sugars that help make the supplement more effective by feeding the good bacteria and allowing them to multiply in the gut.
Good bacteria help to fight the bad bacteria and fungus in the body.
- Helps to promote health and well-being of the digestive system by adding beneficial probiotic microorganisms.
- The presence of FOS (fructooligosaccharides) make the probiotics more effective, as they feed the good bacteria and make it easier for them to multiply in the digestive system.
- Probiotic bacteria help to fight bad bacteria and fungus in the body.
- Contains magnesium stearate
- Contains silica
Align Digestive Care Probiotic Supplement
This product is the #1 probiotic supplement brand recommended by gastroenterologists.
It features a unique patented probiotic strain called Bifidobacterium longum subp Infantis 35624.
This strain has been studied for many years and its efficacy has been established.
This gluten-free formulation requires you to take only one capsule per day.
Align Digestive Care Probiotic Supplement can help to alleviate symptoms of IBS, including bloating, gas, and general discomfort in the digestive system.
- Only one capsule a day required
- Strongly recommended by gastroenterologists
- Helps with IBS symptoms such as gas, bloating, and general discomfort in the digestive system
- No need to refrigerate
- Contains magnesium stearate
- Contains sucrose
Probiotics are beneficial not only to the digestive system and overall health but the condition and beauty of the skin.
Try taking one of the probiotic supplements listed here to address your acne symptoms.
If you’ve conquered your acne successfully you can also have a look at our reviews of some additional probiotic supplements (that are a little more general) here:
- Probiotics for Men’s Health
- Probiotics for Women’s Health
- The Top Probiotics for Vegans
- The Best Probiotic Supplements for Weight Loss
Paula graduated from medical School of the Universidad Central de Venezuela. She is a qualified gynaecologist and human reproductive biologist. She is currently a professor of gynaecology and oncology (Sociedad de Obstetricia y Ginecología) in Venezuela. You can connect with Dr Paula via Linkedin here.
Latest posts by Dr Paula Cortinas (see all)
Last Updated on